Friday, July 4, 2014

The Hero's Call

Today is our Independence Day. As you enjoy the barbeque and the fireworks, be safe and remember those who fought hard for your freedom. Thank a soldier today and hug your children.

This is also my father's birthday. He was an amazing man. I have written about him before. The Fourth is like that for me, a day of remembering. I am thinking of him today.

This month: Freedom.


ЖЖЖ

To begin our Quills topic, we have a guest author!

RAYMOND BOLTON
Author of  Awakening, the Ydron Saga
Ray's Website

Here is a taste of what Ray has to say:

Freedom is a difficult concept to wrap one’s mind around. It doesn't refer to things one is permitted to do. The possibility that permission can be revoked implies constraint, and constraint implies license. One who is licensed is on a tether and tethers can be yanked, or tied to something. On the other hand, lack of all constraints whatsoever leaves open the possibility of trampling on the rights or freedom of others, and such acts lead to consequences. Consequences, of course, are tethers. So are laws. And since we live within a society, and society is governed by laws, it begs the question how can anyone be truly free?

Read more on Robin Lythgoe's Blog.

ЖЖЖ


ROBIN LYTHGOE
Author of As the Crow Flies and two short stories
Robin's Website

Freedom...  As tough to grab onto as a cloud, but weighty as the earth itself. As Raymond pointed out, it's a difficult concept to pin down.

"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." --Nelson Mandela

Right away we see that freedom does not, cannot, exist by itself ... (read more!)

ЖЖЖ

PATRICIA REDING
Author of Oathtaker
Patricia's Website

As today is July 4, it is appropriate to give thought to the concept of freedom. What is it? What does it mean to me? How does it play into my fantasy novel, Oathtaker?

Dictionary.com defines freedom in several ways ... (read more!)


ЖЖЖ

KRISTIE KIESSLING
Author of the short story Sanguis Dei and the poetry collection: Light and Dark  

I love the 4th of July. Not just because of the BBQs or the fireworks. In fact, my dog hates the fireworks, and runs to me for comfort. Her fear is a reasonable thing and though she doesn't understand, she points to one of the reasons we send those rockets skyward. The colorful explosions inspire us and are a visceral reminder of the noise and smoke of battle. We oooh and ahhh, but the cannon-loud "duds" that made me cover my ears as a child, while designed to be beautiful, also make me soberly recall those who have gone before.

Thankfully, because of men like my father and uncles and my oldest brother (and probably yours, too) most of us will never know these fears up close. The honorable men who journey to foreign soil to hold tyranny at bay go to protect their families and their homes and something we can't see or touch. I don't know what it was like for them to be under the guns, on the shores, in the trenches though I have heard tales both frightening and humorous. My keenest imaginings are merely a shadow of what occurred there. How then can I be so touched, so moved by celebrations across the nation? The practical application of the sacrifice of these good men is that I am free. Free to write, to speak and to dream up whatever mayhem I can conjure. What they put on the line for freedom, their very lives, I see as the ultimate expression of love.

"No greater love has any man than this--that he will lay down his life for his friends." Sounds like sacrifice, but that is precisely the point. It is the deepest sort of freedom to let go of fear and do what is right because it is right. This truth shapes my life. It intricately shapes the characters I create. My heroes fight to preserve freedom and they struggle against oppression. They do it because I have seen it in action. We are in this world together and we must stand up for those that are not strong enough to do so for themselves. That is the hero's call.

May your celebrations be full with remembering and with the joy that comes from freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment