Wednesday, June 3, 2020

So, COVID-19, eh?

Harvest PCA
HAPPY EASTER!!

((This is what I meant to post then, and for some reason did not wind up actually posting. I'm going to go ahead and do it now, even though things are going on in the country that require speaking out. I say something at the end of this that I still believe. I hope to let you know why, if you're reading, in a subsequent post. Thanks for being here.))

It was a tremendous blessing to go to get together with God's people online this morning (thanks to the Harvest PCA of Medina, Ohio). We are the family of God, no matter the building we are in, no matter the distance between us. Whether we are in Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Timbuktu, our souls are united in worship of the One who made us, died for us to save us, loves us, and with whom we long to be.

Are you finding it hard to be celebratory in this confusing, even life-threatening time? Here at our house, we are remembering that we're not in control. We do have a ham tucked into the oven. Someone will be making mac and cheese. I'll churn out some deviled eggs, a corn souffle, and there will be a veggie and some apple sauce with it, probably. That's the plan anyway. I got to talk to my sister and that was really good.

Are you using Zoom to connect with family on this holy day? Are you having virtual egg hunts, or sharing stories, or just calling up a loved one? Are you afraid? It can be especially hard on days when we are used to getting together to celebrate, eat, talk, chill...

Just Plain Yogurt
As the Yogurt (and the Wicked Witch) said, "What a world, what a world!"

My tongue is firmly in my cheek, of course. But honestly, my dear friends, where else can it be during this? Thank God for doctors, emergency workers, store clerks, and food service people. I will let the media take the serious side. I will let others dispense information. You get to sort all that out on your own, my friends, listening to the voices you trust.

I... I am going to use this space to unload how I feel. This is what writers do, yeah? Maybe not all of us. Some continue to dispense advice about the hows and whys and wherefores of writing. The process, the structure, what they're working on now--and all of that is truly wonderful. I applaud them for continuing to work the brand, make the magic, write the words. I'm trying to finish Sons of the Dead. Sometimes, motivation is very hard to come by.

Writing is what I do, but this ... this thing came along and honestly, it was one Really Big Thing More in a string of really big things in my personal/emotional life. For months, I've had no words to talk about it. Other than: "wash your hands!" "Stand apart at least six feet if you must go out!" And the ever-popular: "Stay the heck home!" These are truths that save lives. Good truths, but, in the words of a friend, great googly moogly!

Just a few, short months ago, I was wishing you all a happy new year. Little did any of us know something so forking frightening was on all our horizons.

(Let me interrupt myself with this Aside about available entertainment: yes, I've seen The Good Place. Binged the whole thing. Loved it. Now my brother is watching it and it has become a wonderful point of levity around here. I might say "forking" far too much, but it cracks me up every single time.
The Good Place

We've been binging a lot of shows here at the Kiessling household where five of us are sheltering in place. Locke and Key is really good, too, so far. A little unsettling, but I like it.

As for movies, Ad Astra is far too deep-thought for my liking without the humor of Kristen Bell to lighten up the philosophical introspection. Too much talk, not enough action, though it was rather artsy, to a point. Left too many questions and besides, deep thought is not what I want in my science fiction entertainment.

If you want me to be introspective, give me A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, which was AMAZING and made me examine everything I say or do through the lens of kindness.
Pepper as "Rescue" is so much more satisfying a character arc
in the movie to me than Cpt. MarVel's tale will ever be.
Fight me if you must, but Pepper is awesome.

We re-watched "End Game" from the Avengers series and I cried like a baby. Again.)

We are a global community whether we want to be, or not. Our faith, our concern for one another, our thoughtfulness in the light of COVID-19 illustrates this.

And, as an introvert, reading myself into worlds a-plenty since 1966, being at home is exactly where I like to be. A pandemic is just an excuse, amirite? A terrible one or a thumpin' good one, depending on your point of view. Terrible because people have died. A good one because it gives an introvert like me a reason to stay at home. Let me unpack that a bit. I don't think there's anything good about the illness itself, please do not mistake me. But I'm not actually afraid of getting sick. That doesn't mean I'm foolish enough not to take precautions. Online shopping at our local food store is available, so I do that and let them deliver it to the hatch of my van. I don't touch them, they've already touched most of the products available in-store, so we're good. They've been very nice and I don't mind even when they're out of things. So many are muddling through with so much less than I have.

Thing is, I was sick. Very sick. My doctor's fridge broke and they couldn't give me a flu shot (or my tetanus shot for which I was also due). I'm not young. I'm diabetic now with high blood pressure and a bunch of other stuff. So I'm at risk. I didn't get the shot and about a week after that appointment, I got the flu. And that was right about the time this thing was coming out in the news. I had a low-grade fever, runny nose, felt like my head weighed a thousand pounds, felt weak as water, coughing like a mad thing from post-nasal drip (but not the dry cough). Got into my chest and I hacked up what felt like bits of lung, but I could always breathe (with Afrin. I love Afrin). I was sure I didn't have "that virus" and I stayed home because I was so miserable and tired. I'm completely recovered, no problems but seasonal allergies now that Spring is here, and I was never scared. Salty. Whiny, maybe. Irritated. But not afraid.

We have only just recently had confirmed cases in our county, and sad to say, our first loss of life due to the virus. There are other cases and there is absolutely nothing I can do for those with the virus. I am doing all I know to do.

Why am I not scared? Well, not being afraid comes, in my life, from my personal relationship with Christ. And today we brothers and sisters in Christ celebrate the Ressurection of the Lord which is a day of rejoicing for what He has done for us. I'm excited because of what He's done and I know that unless he wants me home with Him (which, to me, is absolutely an upgrade), then I am here for the duration. Whatever I go through, or endure, whatever help I can give, I'm here for that. I'm not scared.




No comments:

Post a Comment